2 years after uprisings violence resurface in Xinjiang

lug 20, 2011 No Commenti da

Trouble resurfaced in the restive far-western region of Xinjiang Monday when Chinese police shot at civilians killing scores of people in the Uyghur populated city of Hotan.

Chinese state media Xinhua had on Monday reported that “thugs” broke into the police station shortly after 12 noon, assaulting the police, taking hostages and setting fire to the station. “Six hostages were successfully rescued,” it said, citing the ministry of public security.

However, the Chinese government version of the events were strongly contested.

According to the Germany based World Uighur Congress (WUC), which wants more independence and greater rights for the largely Muslim, ethnic group in Xinjiang said that the shooting took place not at a police station, but in Hotan’s main bazaar.

In a press statement released today WUC said that the shooting occurred when more than 100 local Uyghurs peacefully gathered to protest a police crackdown imposed on the city and demanded to know the whereabouts of relatives who had gone missing into police custody.

“Police opened fire on the demonstrators, killing at least 20 people. Based on information received from one hospital in Hotan, another 12 people were injured seriously, among them four women and an 11-year-old girl named Hanzohre”, the statement said.

Expressing fears that the actual number of casualties could be much higher, the WUC said that more than 70 people were arrested.

“Since the roads to Hotan city have been blocked by Chinese security forces and incoming and out-coming people are controlled and searched and martial law was imposed by the authorities in Hotan, it is difficult to obtain information on the incident”, WUC said.

The confrontation in Hotan – near one of China’s most important energy-producing areas – comes two years after deadly clashes between ethnic Uyghurs and Chinese security forces left at least 197 people dead.

The Washington based Uyghur America Association in a separate release condemned the acts of violence and urged “Chinese officials to allow international media and observers to freely and independently investigate the incident in Hotan.

fonte phayul.com

News

Info sull'autore

L’associazione ha lo scopo di promuovere la conoscenza della cultura tibetana

Ti potrebbe interessare...

  • Tibetan exile sets self on fire outside Chinese Embassy in Delhi DHARAMSHALA, November 4: A 25 year old Tibetan refugee living in India, set himself on fire, in front of the Chinese Embassy in the Indian capital New Delhi today. Indian policemen on […]
  • Forego Losar celebrations, TYC appeals DHARAMSHALA, November 14: Tibetan Youth Congress (TYC), the largest pro-independence group in exile, has urged Tibetans not to celebrate the up coming Tibetan new year as a mark of honour […]
  • US boost Tibet outreach with new VPP Lhasa site The Consulate of the United States of America in Chengdu earlier this month announced the launch a new website for the Virtual Presence Post (VPP) Lhasa. With an “improved design” and […]
  • US to raise Tibet killings with Xi Jinping The US government has said that it will raise the recent killings of Tibetans by security forces with Chinese Vice-President Xi Jinping during his state visit next month. The US […]
  • China to execute four Uighurs in western region The Supreme People's Court has approved the execution of four Uighurs convicted of terrorism and murder in China's far western region of Xinjiang, state media said Wednesday ...continua a leggere
Nessuna risposta a “2 years after uprisings violence resurface in Xinjiang”

Lascia un commento